Sunday, April 10, 2011

Chalmers Johnson - by his wife



http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/175377/tomgram%3A_sheila_johnson%2C_%22chal%22/

"Chal was a formidable and -- I’m tempted to say -- driven man. After his death, I received a letter from a high school friend who said much the same thing.  'I always admired Chal’s ability to really focus in on an interest. I hate to use the word, but it bordered on zealotry. An example was his ‘passion’ for collecting streetcar and bus transfer slips. As I recall, they were colorful and contained a lot of information about the routes.'


I had to laugh when I read this, and I offer it as a piece of advice to parents who may have similarly focused kids: don’t worry if they’re memorizing baseball statistics. It may lead to something far more important."

No comments:

Post a Comment